Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fingers Crossed for the Cheating Wife Sale


The RWA Awards Ceremony is about three weeks away, and just like Cinderella, I find myself without a dress to wear to the ball.

Unfortunately, the similarities between Cinderella and me end there. I'm not expecting a fairy godmother, chubby mice, or industrious bluebirds to crawl out of the woodwork and whip up a hot little designer number for me. Though my sister and sisters-in-law generously opened their closets, I must say the women in our family are sadly lacking when it comes to formal wear.

So, I asked myself: What would Cinderella do in this situation? Then, it came to me. She'd go to eBay.

I'd never bid on an eBay item before, but I channeled my inner-heroine and fearlessly *gulp* registered. The selection of gowns in my size, in my budget, was limited, but I scrolled tirelessly down the page until ... there it was.

A rich, chocolate-brown, silk, strapless, floor-length gown. Sure, it's a little rumpled. So what if it's got a big X written in red marker across the label? The price is right, baby.

The seller is (supposedly) a gentleman from West Virgina who's wife left him. She was, apparently, in such a hurry that she left most of her wardrobe behind. Who can blame him for wanting to make a few bucks by selling off his cheating wife's personal effects?

Bidding for this fabulous, off-the-rack item started at $18 but I was not about to risk being out-bid. I recklessly anted up $20.

I will know by July 12th if I am the proud owner of a new - no, make that slightly used - ball gown. Then, on July 13th I can see what eBay has to offer in the way of glass slippers.

6 comments:

Dana C said...

I love the dress, and I love the way you write.
Can't wait to see a picture of you in the chocolate, brown, sleeveless dress!

Anne Barton said...

Hi Dana! I don't want us to get too ahead of ourselves because I fully expect a fierce bidding war will break out over this dress any second now, BUT...

I'm so glad you like it. You have to squint when you look at it, and imagine it's not lying half-twisted on someone's kitchen floor. And then you have to squint some more until you can't see the wrinkles which suggest that before it made it to the kitchen floor it was balled up in the back of a dresser drawer.

Thankfully, YOU are able to see the potential in this sad little dress like only a best friend can.

Thanks for stopping by. It was great to see you last weekend. :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Beautiful dress, Anne. I know you'll be one of the classiest women at the Awards Ceremony.

Here's hoping you're the winner of the ebay auction.

Anne Barton said...

Keli, thanks for popping in to say hi! I know your daughter helped you pick out your dress, so you're sure to be hip and stylish! Not that you couldn't manage it on your own, but you know what I mean! :)

I know we'll have fun at the awards ceremony regardless of what we wear. I saw a photo of author Jacquie D'Alessandro from Nationals two years ago -- she worked the red carpet in a gorgeous, fairy-like pink and white gown while carrying a fuzzy, toy, alligator purse. :)

Oh, to have that kind of panache!

Keli Gwyn said...

Anne,

Did you get your ball gown? I sure hope so. It's stunning.

Anne Barton said...

Hi Keli -

Yes, I got it! And, BONUS -- since no one else bid I only had to pay $18!

Now, all that remains to be seen is ... will it fit? Ack!