Sunday, March 16, 2008

What I have in common with Noah

Sometimes, I feel like I'm building an ark. Let's face it, writing novels takes a lot of time. Time I could be spending with my family, cleaning my house (ha!), or even exercising (HA!!). Besides my manuscripts, I have nothing to show for all my hours in front of the computer - unless you count the weird muscle spasm below my right eye.

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with any ridicule from family or friends. And of course, the fact that I don't have a gigantic boat in the backyard is a bonus. But writing is a huge time commitment, and there's no assurance my work will ever be published. I enjoy the process, though. Completing a scene, a chapter, and finally, a story is so satisfying. And I have to believe that if I work hard enough and long enough, eventually a "flood" of requests will come my way (sorry!).

If you're a writer, do you ever feel guilty about all the time you spend writing? (Or, sometimes, guilty about the time you don't spend writing?) How do you balance it with the rest of your life?

No comments: